Psychologists, Psychotherapists and Talking Therapists help and support people with their mental health, by helping them to understand, cope and overcome their problems which can range from mild to more complex conditions such as anxiety, depression, addiction and mental health disorders.

The Psychological Professions includes many different professions, and several different roles as detailed below: 

Psychologists Psychological Therapists Psychological Practitioners


The Psychological Professions Network (PPN) website has a map showing all the career opportunities in the NHS Psychological professions.

Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (PWP) Training

Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners (PWPs) are usually recruited once a year to complete a one year training programme at the University of Surrey. You do not need a first degree in Psychology to train as a PWP. 

You will take part in the Advanced Practice in Psychological Wellbeing Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) programme. Whilst on a fixed term training contract, you will attend university a couple of days a week and work on a placement in our Trust's Talking Therapies team the rest of the week. 

Our Trust's Wellbeing Practitioner positions are advertised through NHS Jobs, recruited to in partnership with our Mind Matters services and course staff from the university. Upon completion of the course and placement, Trainee PWPs will be able to apply for qualified PWP vacancies. 

On completion of the course, PWPs will need to be registered with the British Psychological Society (BPS) or the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). The BPS and BABCO websites detail all requirements and how the registration process works. 

NHS Funding statement

The NHS Health Education England website provides all details about funding for psychological profession training programmes. 

Trainee Clinical Psychologists (Doctorate in Clinical Psychology)

Clinical Psychologist Training has to meet the requirements of the UK Health and Professions Council (HCPC) and the British Psychological Society (BPS), Once Trainees have successfully completed the doctorate in Clinical Psychology, they are eligible to apply for registration with the HCPC as a Clinical Psychologist and for chartered membership of the BPS. 

Our Trust employs Trainee Clinical Psychologists who are training via Surrey University or Salomon's Institute for Applied Psychology at Canterbury Christ Church University. 

Before applying for Trainee Clinical Psychology training, make sure you are aware of the qualifications and experience you need (2 years working in a suitable service).

You can apply for the Trainee Clinical Psychology training via the Clearing House website to either Surrey University or Salomon's Institute for Applied Psychology at Canterbury Christ Church University.